The only slightly annoying thing about the RN-XV is that the pins running down each side are 2mm apart, not the standard 2.5mm used by almost every other device out there. So I couldn’t plug the unit straight into a breadboard as I had been planning to do.
After jerry-rigging the RN-XV to the breadboard using some jumper cables from Maplin, I decided it was time to make things a little more secure. So I got myself a few of these, to help make the wiring a bit more robust. (It really was far too easy to dislodge the jumper cables)
It’s a little breakout board designed for the XBee family of modules. As the RN-XV is based on the same footprint, it fits the purpose just fine. I soldered the headers and sockets on to make plugging the RN-XV in nice and easy.
As you can see from the picture, this thing’s tiny.