31 Comments

1. Raza khan
    3/17/2012

Hey,
    Do have any idea to connect arduino to the wifi board, arduino acting as a server hosting a web page and possibly I could connect through my iphone. All of this on adhoc mode.
    Thanks

• 3/18/2012

Raza,
      Sparkfun have a decent tutorial here, which covers getting the basic connection from the Arduino to the WiFly.
      Once you have a simple web server up and running on the Arduino, you should be able to connect to it from any web enabled device: computer, phone, etc.

You might want to give the Arduino/WiFly a known IP address and join it to an existing wifi network though. It’s perfectly possible to just connect to it in ad-hoc mode, but I find it easier specifying it’s IP address myself.
      C

• Raza
        4/2/2012

Hey,
        what I’m trying to do with the RNXV is to connect the wifly to my blackberry playbook and the wifly setup on the robot, and through an Blackberry app i can send commands to the wifly, What im stuck on is the part where we communicate with the wifly, for example it has an ip address given by the router, the connection between two devices is open- or two ports. I need to send some thing so that it triggers and communicates with the arduino.Im using the wifly library.
        Any help is appreciated.

2. Bill
    3/18/2012

Clever play on words for the site name – I’m sure Le Carre himself would approve.

3. Zach
    4/3/2012

I am working on my senior design project and need to send data from an iPhone to my arduino through a wifly so that I can display that information on an OLED display.

Would you be able to help me accomplish this? I assume that I need to have it receiving UDP packets but frankly I am just not sure.

Thanks!

• 4/6/2012

Hi Zach,

Yes you might want to use UDP packets. I’ve not set mine up that way, so I won’t profess to be able to help you with that.

It sounds like you want to have a web server running on the arduino, I think the example sketches include a web server and a web client. You’ll probably want an SD card to store the data it’s receiving. As far as I remember, the Ethernet shield has an SD card slot.

What sort of data will you be sending to it? I’m guessing text strings or numerical values?

C

EDIT: Look at this link, it describes passing text strings via UDP packets

4. Jake
    4/9/2012

Hi Guys, I am new to ardiuno and wifly. I have a device that analyze water quality. I wan’t to see result on my computer.I connected the ardiuno and wifly and I did all ipconfig and telnet, I got Hello. Now what is next? I believe I need to wright a program which tells the micro to send the data! and I need a terminal software to display reading on my computer screen. I know I sound very hopeless but I really need a help

5. 6/18/2012

Have you had any success communicating with the RN-XV over UART? Have you tried at all? I’ve been scratching my head trying to figure out how to talk to mine without going the ad-hoc route.

• 6/19/2012

Hi Aaron,
      I haven’t tried yet to be honest. But I’ve got plans to use a dedicated Arduino with RN-XV in my garage to run a gas meter reader that’s just outside the garage door. So I’m sure I’ll have to figure it out at some point. Let me know if you strike gold!

C

6. Win
    10/2/2012

Hi Chris
    Thanks for the information. I followed your info whereby i used static IP. I can associate wirh my network but i cannot open the web page and get sensor info.
    I key in static IP address in the browser, but it did not open. I try to telnet with Static IP &port 2000, it didnt work either.
    Where am i wrong?
    And how to combine above set up with arduino (without Wifly lib)? Do you have any sample sketch? If yes, please share with us.
    Regards
    Win

• 10/2/2012

Hi Win,
      The WiFly runs as a web client, rather than as a web server. It doesn’t serve up any pages itself. I have mine making GET requests to a PHP web page on my local server. The WiFly appends the sensor data onto the end of the address that it’s requesting. The PHP script being requested strips the sensor data out of the request, does some conversion on it, and then puts it into a mySQL database.
      I’ve not used mine with the Arduino yet. The main purpose of the WiFly, for me, was to set up a single device reading sensor data, and to keep it as cheap as possible. So I wanted to see if I could just use the WiFly on it’s own.

Good Luck!

Chris

7. Win
    10/3/2012

Hi Chris
    Thanks for your clarification. Now i understand the set up and will try again.
    Rgds
    Win

8. 10/9/2012

[…] It’s been set up by ex-Apple and Google people, with the aim of making ‘the internet of things’ more easy to configure. You teach the device the SSID and passphrase for your WiFi network by placing it on the screen of your Android or iOS phone, which then flashes the screen to transfer the data over. Sounds much more straightforward than setting up the WiFly RN-XV! […]

9. […] After several attempts to get my Wifly-rn-xv working I’ve finally succeeded. The documentation seems good at first glance but when you get into it you realise information is missing. To be fair I got the initial connection working with a combination of the command datasheet and the following blog: http://www.tinkerfailure.com/2012/02/setting-up-the-wifly-rn-xv/ […]

10. atif
    3/30/2013

anyone had any success communicating with the RN-XV Tell me plz

• 3/30/2013

Hi Atif.

Well, yes. I think a great many people have had success communicating with their RN-XV.

Are you having problems then?

Chris

11. atif
    3/31/2013

Hi Chris

yes i m having a problem in connection of Rn xv wireless with my laptop using teraterm. first time i had connected it well but when i connect my Rn xv with computer serially i have problems in its wireless connection .
    Will u help me in that .

• 6/27/2013

Atif,

How did you connect it first time? When it worked?

C

12. LouisBourdon
    4/20/2013

Hi, good tutorial, I went through it, but Im still having problems to connect to my router – anybody that has an idea of why it is not working let me know! I use WiFly 2.21 RN-131C, Arduino Uno with IDE 1.0, and Apple Airport router.
    I run the library WiFly Shield Master. The SpiUart Terminal sketch runs fine, I can set all the necessary commands, set IP address, WPA2 mode, SSID, passwords, and save everything. I see in the command line that the shield has been associated with the router. However, when I run the WiFly Web Client sketch, it prints out Association Failed. I have tried everything and still I get this error.
    Can someone tell me if possible, why it can’t synchronize? So, frustrated!!!

• 6/27/2013

Louis,

Have you tried getting the RN-XV to connect on it’s own, without the Arduino?

C

13. 4/25/2013

any one trying this arduino fio + rn-xv + wifly lib?

14. Tjaart
    6/20/2013

Hello

I was wondering if you could still use the UDP protocol for transfering data while in ad-hoc mode? I want to transmit data serially over WiFi, but I don’t want a router between my computer and the WiFi module will it be possible to do this way?

• 6/27/2013

Tjaart,

The important thing to remember is that when it’s in Ad-Hoc mode, the WiFly sets up it’s own WiFi network. The idea being that you join that network with your computer in order to program it. Then once it’s programmed to be able to connect to your own (main) WiFi network, you reboot it in ‘normal’ mode. And it connects!

So you could leave the WiFly in Ad-Hoc mode, and get your computer to connect to it occasionally to receive posted data. But it seems like the wrong way round to do it to me.

15. ATIF
    6/26/2013

Hey all

I m working with wifly module rn xv and i had done its communication with microcontroller now i wanna know that can i communicate between two rn xv and a laptop or pc.if it is possible then how?

16. Alex
    8/11/2013

Hello!

well, i setup the wifly and – ok – its connected with my network,great :-)
    but how can i setup the wifly module so that i can send a string from my computer (via telnet…) to a microcontroller.does anyone have an idea how to do this in a simple way?
    i would apreciate that!

17. 8/11/2014

May be explain more than
    set com remote GET$/thepage.php?DATA=

• 10/15/2014

I don’t follow I’m afraid.